Residential Care FAQs

Do you cater for boys and girls?

We cater for both boys and girls.

Are homes single sex or mixed?

There is no restriction on the gender balance of our homes at present and our facilities are currently mixed.

What age group do you cater for?

We cater for boys and girls aged from seven to 18 years old.

What type of specialist needs to you cater for?

Quality Education with Care (QEwC) provides access to the National Curriculum for Wales to boys and girls aged 7 – 16 who have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties (SEBD), as well as mental health problems and moderate learning difficulties (MLD) and young persons on the autistic spectrum.

SEBD is a generic term that encompasses a number of diagnosed or special educational needs, including but not limited to SEMH, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, Language difficulties, Opposition Defiant Disorder (ODD), Conduct Disorder (CD), Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) and Attachment Disorder (AD).

We always consider a young person with other associated learning difficulties who may benefit from the care and education we offer.

Do you accept children with physical disabilities or intimate care needs?

We are unable to accommodate young people with significant physical disability or those requiring intimate personal care.

How many rooms do you have available?

Bryn Tirion Hall is a 10 bedded residential care home and Ty Felin is a five bedded residential care home for children and young people.

When do your facilities close?

We believe in consistent care for our children and young people and aim to keep them away from negative environmental factors year-round. For this reason our care homes are open 52 weeks per year.

Do residents at QEwC residential care homes have to attend QEwC schools?

No, residents at QEwC care homes are permitted to attend other schools.

How far are the homes from your school?

Bryn Tirion Hall is located on the same site as Bryn Tirion Hall School. Ty Felin is 10 minutes via road.

Do you accept emergency placements?

We consider emergency placements for our homes on receipt of appropriate information and the agreement to meet within a maximum of 72 hours of admission. All admissions are considered in relation to the composition and needs of the young people resident at the time.

What is the turnaround time for an emergency placement?

An emergency placement for our homes typically takes 24 hours turn around.

What is the process for referrals and admission?

Our robust referral process begins with a request for detailed history of the young person, followed by an admission panel meeting with all involved parties.

After this, a sixteen week assessment and subsequent planning review ensures that our provision can adequately meet the needs of the young person before long term placement is confirmed. To request a referral form please use our contact page.

Can I arrange a visit to your care homes before considering it for placement of a child?

Yes. We believe that visiting us is the best way to find out about what we do and how we are different. Site visits are also part of our referral and placement process. Contact us to make an appointment.

What are your office hours?

Our office hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, however there are staff on duty 24 hours a day within the Homes.

Get in touch

Whether you’re a parent or carer with an enquiry, or a specialist children’s care or education professional wishing to make a referral, we’d love to hear from you.

Simply complete the form below we’ll be back in touch. If your message is regarding a referral one of the QEwC team will respond within 24 hours.